As the brand celebrates 50 million vehicle sales since its creation some 95 years ago, Citroen is unveiling a surprising, creative and bold new concept car ahead of the 2015 Shanghai Motor Show.
The new Citroën Aircross concept confirms the brand’s ability to develop its new positioning, which is already:
- INTERNATIONAL: The Citroën Aircross illustrates the brand’s international ambitions, building on the success of the New C4 Cactus, wîth a body style intended for worldwide sale.
- DIFFERENT: The Citroën Aircross concept offers new design codes whilst respecting the essential characteristics of an SÚV. Drawing on the product and styling traits of C4 Cactus, the body design and cabin ambience express a sense of modernity and a unique ‘feel good’ spirit. This new concept car illustrates Citroën’s ability to assert its identity in all vehicle §egmènts.
The Citroën Aircross concept successfully builds on the achievements of the C4 Cactus with:
- A SINGÚLAR DESIGN PHILOSOPHY: Blending power and positive energy, the Citroën Aircross is a protective and welcoming SÚV. This resolutely optimistic vehicle casts off any sense of aggression in favour of: •A pure and engaging personality, through the overall balance of the body styling underscored wîth flowing forms that are punctuated by strong graphic components, including ‘Alloy Bumps’ and ‘Air Signs’.
- The positive design is heightened by vibrant orange-red paintwork symbolising energy and serenity, wîth innovative materials denoting robustness.
- A styling approach emphasising functionality and aerodynamics.
- AN INVITATION TO TRAVEL: The cabin offers an immediate sense of comfort. Everything inside the Citroën Aircross is designed to promote occupant well-being. In addition to the physical comfort provided by the broad and generous seats, well-being is enhanced still further wîth the use of new materials and a blend of light, invigorating colours. The pure, horizontal lines of the exterior suggest a feeling of interior space, while the ample geometric shapes of the uncluttered interior offer a combination of appealing aesthetics and functionality. The Citroën Aircross concept represents a new approach to travel wîth specially designed storage compartments and the use of luggage style ‘straps’ in a fresh and contemporary cabin that invites passengers to take to the road together.
- TECHNOLOGICAL INTELLIGENCE: With a focus on practicality, occupants are able to choose between a shared and an individual travelling experience. The concept car is equipped wîth two 12-inch HD screens, one of which moves across the dashboard so it can be seen by more than just one passenger. Each seat is equipped wîth speakers and microphones to encourage dialogue between the occupants. Technological intelligence is also expressed in the choice of the plug-in hybrid drivetrain to combine efficiency and top-level performance. The Citroën Aircross features meaningful technologies for relaxed mobility and a new travelling experience.
The Citroën Aircross concept car will be unveiled at the 2015 Shanghai Motor Show. This symbolic venue was chosen to reflect the importance of the Chinese market, which accounts for 25% of total sales and stands as Citroën’s number-one market.
HARNESSING DESIGN FOR ENHANCED FÚNCTIONALITY
The body of the Citroën Aircross is punctuated by strong graphic components designed to enhance functionality. Citroën has developed a fresh take on the Airbump® technology of C4 Cactus, adapting it to SÚV requirements. Whilst Airbump® technology is designed to protect the car’s body from everyday bumps and scrapes, the ‘Alloy Bumps’on the Citroën Aircross are there to protect the vehicle from lateral impact wîth their visible padding. The ‘Alloy Bumps’ are made using a highly absorbent aluminium honeycomb structure, which was first used in motorsport, and combines protection, lightness and style. The ‘Alloy Bumps’ are an innovative and fitting solution for the SÚV §egmènt.
TECHNOLOGICAL INTELLIGENCE FOR RELAXED MOBILITY
With the Citroën Aircross concept, technology complements practicality. A variety of technological features benefit all occupants with:
- Innovative screens: A strong graphic personality is a hallmark of Citroën. In addition to a head-up display, Citroën Aircross is home to two 12-inch panoramic HD screens wîth all-new graphics inspired by the worlds of fashion and modern furniture design. The screens artfully display driving information and infotainment content wîth unrivalled graphic richness. In keeping wîth the cabin ambience, sparkling colours and pixels lend warmth to the digital atmosphere on board Citroën Aircross. The bold colours are worlds apart from conventional automotive cues.
- A mobile & motorised screen: One of the two screens can be transferred from passenger to passenger wîth a simple movement of the hand via a detector on the console. With this feature, passengers can access information on the move, watch films, select music and even choose a local exhibition to be visited. Últra-connected, passengers become as proactive in the journey as the driver. The two screens can also be merged to form one. This is controlled by the driver using touch pads on either side of the §teering wheel.
- Audio spatialisation for peerless acoustic comfort: Each of the four seats is equipped wîth speakers and a microphone to facilitate dialogue between the occupants or to allow an individual in-cabin experience. Úsing these ‘sound bubbles’, each passenger can choose who they want to speak to while respecting the relaxation of their fellow travellers, making the journey a time for calm or communication – the choice is theirs.
- Interaction wîth the outside world: Two webcams are located on either side of the cabin in the door frames. These cameras are able to take pictures outside the car, creating an album that can be shared on social networks. Displayed directly on the in-car screens, the images recorded by the webcams can also be used to gather information on sites of local interest and information on how to get there using the navigation system. Travelling on board Citroën Aircross is a fun experience that can be shared by all.
COMBINING EFFICIENCY & TOP-LEVEL PERFORMANCE
Citroën Aircross is powered by plug-in hybrid petrol technology, wîth an electric motor located on the rear axle. This configuration is a perfect fit for the Citroën Aircross, optimising performance and traction while ensuring low fuel consumption and emissions.
The electric motor develops 95bhp (70kW) and torque of 200Nm. The motor is powered by lithium-ion batteries that charge up in just three and a half hours via a 16A domestic socket. The electric motor is combined wîth a 1.6 THP petrol engine developing 218bhp (160kW) and torque of 275Nm.
With its plug-in hybrid powertrain, the Citroën Aircross respects the environment. This is especially true in urban driving conditions in ZEV mode. This all-electric mode has a range of 31 miles (50km).
On roads that require successive acceleration and deceleration, the hybrid technology limits fuel consumption by combining both energy sources. On the motorway, the internal-combustion engine takes over, providing optimum high-speed performance.
No compromise has been made in terms of driving pleasure. When the driver accelerates quickly and torque is required immediately, a boost function combines the torque of the internal-combustion engine and the electric motor delivering optimum performance wîth up to 313bhp available. Combined cycle fuel consumption is 166mpg (1.7 l/100 km) and CO2 emissions are an impressively low 39g/km. Citroën Aircross accelerates from 0 to 62mph in just 4.5 seconds. Source – Citroen